In case you missed it, Mark walks us through the planning phase of our ventilation system.
Part 4 of casual couch conversations — our grey water recovery system. Flushing our toilets with shower water.
Part 3 of casual couch conversations. Counteracting the cooling of our mechanical room, a neutral side effect of our domestic hot water tank.
Part 2 of our mechanical system, the domestic hot water heater, explained over casual couch conversations.
Part 1 of a video series with Mark casually explaining our mechanical systems as we sit on the couch. There will be three videos following along later this week, going deeper into our mechanical systems. All of which stemmed from my earlier post on appliances.
Before any of our electrical and plumbing work begins, we did a blower door test. This tests to see how air-tight our house is. The test we did was only a preliminary blower door test to ensure that our walls are on track to hit the target, even though not all of our windows and doors are completely sealed yet. We did some temporary taping in a few locations in order to perform the test. We also only performed a depressurization test this time (PassivHaus requires both a depressurization and pressurization test). This is because the temporary taping would have failed under pressurization.
The PassivHaus Standard requires an air tightness of 0.6 ACH50 or better. ACH50 stands for Air Changes per Hour at 50 Pascals of pressure, or the total number of times that the entire volume of air in the house will be exchanged through leakage at a given pressure. 50 Pascals is roughly 5 times the pressure that a house would experience on a cold winter day due to difference in temperatures between the inside and outside, so the test ensures that performance at everyday pressures will be ensured.
The results? We achieved 0.47 ACH50 on the first try!! We are very happy with this result. We will retest the house after the last few windows are completely installed to see how we can bring this result down even lower. The lower this number gets, the smaller and more effective our heating and ventilation system can be.
Yesterday was a big day. It started bright an early with the crane set-up on site. It was there to haul up and help install our roof trusses. Mark was in and out throughout the day and broadcast a few times with progress updates. Here they are:
The build has been frozen over the holidays, both literally and figuratively. So has my writing. Admittedly, I've been feeling frustrated that we weren't able to race ahead while the going was good (with the weather). I had hopes and dreams to be closed in before Christmas. Alas. There's a learning curve to be had with our wall system. And we've only had 2 or 3 guys out working most days. The second floor framing is coming along nicely now. We're full steam ahead in the new year. Whoooot! Attempting to stay warm and carry on.